What is MultiCam?
MultiCam is a camouflage pattern created by Crye Precision. The name MultiCam is a registered trademark of Crye Precision.
It is meant to be versatile and applicable to a wide variety of conditions. It is currently a popular option for the military combat uniforms of the armed forces of several nations.
From the creator:
“MultiCam® is a highly effective, commercially available camouflage pattern used by the military, federal agencies, and law enforcement.”
MultiCam was originally developed for the US Army. It is meant to be effective in a variety of environments (arid, tropic, etc.), elevations, and light conditions.
Military forces are always eager to reduce logistical workload – and having versatile uniforms goes a long way to easing the burden of too many combat uniform types.
Colors of MultiCam
There are now several different variations based on the environment.
Besides the original MultiCam color scheme, the current officially licensed versions offered by Crye Precision include: MultiCam Arid, MultiCam Tropic, MultiCam Alpine (for snow), and MultiCam Black (for Law enforcement and SWAT team use).
The original MultiCam pattern is based on these colors:
|Dark Brown 530|
|Dark Green 528|
|Pale Green 526|
A selection of MultiCam products:
- Midweight wicking FR torso
- Extreme weather resistant 4-way stretch Nano STX laminate with wicking knit interior face
- Soft lined collar and zipper placket for added comfort
- Streamlined elbow pad configuration designed for use with our removable patented AIRFLEX ELBOW PADS (sold seperately
- Flexible VELCRO brand hook-and-loop configuration on bicep pocket, Water shedding bicep pocket opening
MultiCam Arid is meant for open rock and desert environments, such as bright, open desert terrain.
It is sometimes referred to as MC Arid.
|Light Tan 170|
|Urban Tan 171|
|Light Coyote 173|
MultiCam Arid products:
- Key parts double-layer fabric/adopt double reinforcement.
- YKK Zipper and Velcro closure designed for quick and easy putting in and off.
- Unique low-profile waist and knee adjust system.
- Multiple dual layer pockets on sleeves.
- Knee&Elbow pads are included.
- Meets U.S. mil-spec
- Brass screen vents
- Adjustable chin straps
MultiCam Tropic is used for dense jungle environments. The color palette reflects the deep green jungle vegetation that would be typical of such an environment.
It is sometimes referred to as MC Tropic.
|Bright Green 252|
|Dark Brown 255|
|Dark Green 254|
MultiCap Tropic can be found in many products, here’s just a sample.
- Two easy access slanted cargo pockets with drain holes, 5" x 5" hidden pocket and elastic drawstring with cord lock for secure closure
- Color : MultiCam Tropic
- Length : Regular
- Size : Large
- Fabric : 50/50 Nylon/Cotton Rip-Stop
- MultiCam Tropic camo pattern, designed to effectively reduce the visual and near-IR signature of a person operating in dense jungle environments
- Slanted chest pockets and sleeve pockets
- Hook and loop facing on the upper-sleeve pockets
- Made from 50/50 CORDURA NYCO fabric for durability and comfort
- Adjustable mandarin collar
- Genuine Crye Precision MultiCam Tropic
- 100% Cotton
- Adjustable strap with buckle on the back
- 3 hook & loop panel for patches
- Import; One size fits most
MultiCam Alpine is meant for snow covered environments, and has a very light color palette.
|Medium Gray 126|
|Light Gray 125|
It’s harder to find products in MultiCam Alpine pattern – but they are available.
- Laser-cut 15.5" x 6.5" platform with 5 rows of 10 slots for attaching pouches (60 laser-cut slots)
- Bib with 5 rows of 5 slots for attaching pouches (30 laser-cut slots)
- Elastic keepers on all strap ends for retention and adjustable elastic
- Bib and main platform can also double as pockets for documents, size-appropriate soft armor or other items
- Measures 17"L x 2"W x 16.5"H, Weighs 1.6 lbs
- Limited-edition light vs dark 2-Pack
- Includes both the Mechanix Wear fastfit with multicam black camouflage and the Mechanix Wear insulated fastfit with multicam alpine camouflage
- Refined stretch-elastic cuffs
- Strong nylon carrier loops with an unmatched fit in the field
- Care instructions: machine washable
- 36 or 43 inch Length - 1 inch Diameter Non Insulated Drink Tube Cover
- Fits over Bare or Insulated Drink Tubes (Insulation sold separately)
- Flexible, Durable, and Easy Installation (Fits over Quick Connects)
- Tube Cover Only
- Veteran Owned Business and Made in the USA
MultiCam Black is meant for domestic law enforcement agencies, such as SWAT teams.
It is a very dark pattern, meant to provide a “commanding and authoritative presence”.
Sometimes referred to as MC Black.
Shown here is a Triple Aught Design’s Fastpack EDC in MC Black.
It looks nice!
There are many products available in MultiCam Black, such as these.
- Comfort placket behind zipper
- Double layer bicep pocket
- Eye-pro holder and pen pocket
- Flexiable VELCRO brand hook-and-loop configuration on bicep pocket
- Streamlined elbow pad configuration designed for use with our patented removable AIRFLEX ELBOW PADS (sold separately)
- Six ventilation holes to keep head cool
- One size fits most. Durable, comfortable and lightweight
- Material: 50/50 NyCo RipStop fabric
- Front, top and back Velcro patches. Adjustable back strap with buckle
- MADE TO LAST - High abrasion quick drying 1000D Cordura quarter panels offered in solid colors and MultiCam. Air mesh linings help wick away sweat and other moisture quickly from your feet.
- BUILT FOR BATTLE - Non-shine rust-proof lace hardware will not break on the battle field. Low profile laces will not cause pain from fin wear on long swims. Full length one piece ABS shank provides stability and support when climbing.
- NO SLIP GRIP - SEAL Rubber sticky outsoles. The rubber compound was originally developed for rock climbing shoes and modified for wet tactical operations. Ultron PU contoured insole will not absorb water. Front non-metallic drain ports allow for water to drain easily when flexing the boot.
- FIN FRIENDLY FIT - Fits just about any dive fins used by Militaries worldwide. SEAL Rubber is one of the stickiest, high traction rubbers on the market today. Designed for Specials Ops. Worn by the Elite.
- SINCE 1969 - Altama has been a leading manufacturer of Mil-Spec boots for the US Department of Defense, supplying military personnel worldwide
If you expect to submerge your feet – these are awesome.
They also look good and are informally known as “Tactical Chucks” – for their resemblance to the Chucks Converse style of shoe.
MultiCam Commercial Options
MultiCam is a proprietary pattern that can be licensed or obtained for commercial products.
US Army Regulation 670-1 requires that non-Government issue equipment match the camouflage pattern of the uniform in use.
Hence, you will see MultiCam as a popular color option for many products such as vests, rucksacks, chest rigs, battle belts, and plate carriers.
How does MultiCam work?
MultiCam is impressively effective.
From the manufacturer’s website:
“MultiCam® patterns take advantage of the way the human eye and brain perceive shape, volume, and color. Since only a very small portion of the human eye perceives color, the brain does a lot of “filling-in” for the eye. The unique high resolution design of MultiCam® takes advantage of this principle and helps the observer to “see” the pattern as part of the background.
The MultiCam® family of patterns rely more on a blending effect than a traditional contrast effect to disguise the wearer. This effect allows them to perform well in a wide range of environmental conditions. It also helps maintain the patterns’ effectiveness even at close ranges where low resolution patterns often stand out against the natural (non-pixelated) environment.”
Multicam Products – Tactical Hats
There are many products available in the MultiCam colors.
- A great Condor Tactical Cap with 2 matching patches included; front and back
- 2"x3" sized front USA & 1" x 3.75" back DONT TREAD ON ME patch
- Patches will match color of cap. Subdued Mil-spec patches
- Patches Made In USA: 100% Embroidery with velcro backing
- Quality tactical hat: Made of durable tactical fabric with 3 hook & loop panels for patches; 3 x 2 inch front patch, 3.5 x 1 inch back patch; Waterproof and fast-dry, 100% cotton sweatband, washable, no tearing; It's a great partner for outdoor work, gym, hiking, gun range and more
- One size fit most: Classic brass button adjusts the size,suitable for head circumference 22-24inch; Our customer said the multicam hat pretty good fit; Comfortable ocp flag ball caps
- Super save bundle: Comes with 6 pieces tactical military patches,match color of cap well,allow you adjust to your moods; The USA flag patches also can be used with other tactical gear
- A great gift: Great tactical hats for men, most men and boy love the good looking tactical veteran cap; It's a great gift for your husband,boyfriend,father,son, and yourself
- What you will get: 1 pcs multicam patch hat,6 pcs embroidery tactical morale patches,1 year limited warranty,friendly customer service,fast delivery
- 6 panel flexible jersey fitted material, Embroidered eyelets, & seamed front panel w/ full buckram
- Integrated elastic flex-fit sweatband for sure comfortable fit & reinforced stitching
- Front hook-&-loop patch panel with embossed Condor Logo and Top & Rear patch panels
- Available in Two Sizes: Sm/Med: 7" - 7 3/8" or Lrg/XLrg 7 3/8" - 7 ¾" / Available in 8 distinctive colors: Graphite, Black, Brown, Genuine MultiCam, OD Green, Tan, Genuine MultiCam Black, Genuine Kryptek Typhon
- 2 FREE Patches with Purchase!: One PVC Black/OD Green Flag Patch (3" x 2" Dimensions) & One Stitched Black/Gray Warrior Patch (1" x 3 ¾" Dimensions).
- - Genuine Crye Precision Multicam material, sewn in foreign country. - Highly breathable mesh panel for moisture - wicking. - Adjustable hook & loop back strap. - 3 hook & loop panel for patches.
The MultiCam family of camouflage patterns were developed with a modern approach.
These patterns are significantly more effective than past camouflage patterns.
MultiCam is in use by the armed forces of several nations as a result.
Many great products such as tactical hats and caps are available in the official MultiCam patterns and materials.
Photo Credits & References
Illustration credit for the Multicam images: www.Vecteezy.com
- MultiCam® Family of Camouflage Patterns
- MultiCam® Brand Guide
- MultiCam (Wikipedia.org)
- The Gear Confessional
Last update on 2019-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API