Let’s look at the best tactical multi tools for 2019.
What is a tactical multi tool? It’s a multi tool for tactical situations – those involving firearms and other military equipment.
And you don’t have to be an operator or a SWAT team member to make use of these.
Throw one in your range bag the next time you go shooting.
We’re going to highlight several products and explain why these are better than your regular Leatherman.
If you don’t want to read all of this – here’s the gear we are going to cover:
Leatherman MUT – Tactical Multi Tool
Leatherman is a known and trusted name in the multi tool business.
The Leatherman MUT (Buy on Amazon) has all the tools you’d normally expect.
But it is designed to maintain military gear with the addition of a bronze carbon scraper, disassembly punch, bolt override tool and more.
This multitool is made from 154CM Stainless Steel – and that’s what we want.
Just as important – it’s available in flat black color. And that’s what we’d recommend.
- READY FOR ANYTHING: The MUT is the first multitool that functions as both a tactical and practical tool for military, law enforcement, or civilians. With replaceable firearm tools, the Leatherman MUT might just be the most useful piece in your kit.
- FIT MORE FUNCTIONALITY: A variety of pliers, wire cutters and crimper, knife, saw, cutting hook, hammer, bolt override tool, bronze carbon scraper, #8-32 cleaning rod/brush adapter, firearm disassembly punch, carabiner/bottle opener, and large bit driver.
- LET'S BE PRACTICAL: Sometimes you only have one hand to spare. The MUT only requires one hand to open and use all the tools so you can multitask with confidence.
- ALWAYS ON HAND: With its heavy-duty yet portable size and pocket clip, your MUT is always within reach and ready to work. Store an extra bit (included) in the handle for even more capability.
- GUARANTEED: Our 25-year limited warranty ensures that your Leatherman will give you many years of dependable service. Just send it in and we'll fix it up. All Leatherman multitools are made and repaired right here in the USA.
It is 5″ when closed and weighs 11.2 oz.
The primary blade is 3″ in length and made from 420HC Stainless Steel
What sort of tools does it include?
There are 16 in total:
- Needlenose Pliers
- Regular Pliers
- Premium Replaceable Hard wire cutters
- Stranded wire cutters
- Electrical crimper
- 420HC combo knife (This is a higher carbon content 420 stainless)
- Replaceable Cutting Hook – for cutting straps and other items
- Bolt Override Tool
- Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper
- #8-32 Cleaning Rod/Brush Adapter
- Replaceable Firearm Disassembly Punch
- Carabiner/Bottle Opener
- Large Bit Driver
It includes Torx #15 and Hex 7/64″ bits, Phillips #1-2 & 3/16″ Screwdriver, and Phillips #2 & 1/4″ Screwdriver.
Lastly, Leatherman gear is built to last. It is covered by a 25 year warranty.
Leatherman MUT EOD – Tactical Multi Tool
Work in EOD?
The Leatherman MUT EOD edition (Buy on Amazon) might be the better choice.
Similar specs to the non-EOD edition: 420HC high carbon stainless primary blade, available in black.
Where this is different is that it includes a military performance spec Cap Crimper and a Replaceable C4 punch.
Like the regular Leatherman MUT – it comes with a MOLLE webbing compatible sheath.
It’s also got the 25 year Leatherman limited warranty.
SOG Powerlock EOD
Here’s another great multi-tool meant for EOD personnel.
The SOG Powerlock EOD multitool (Buy on Amazon) has a lot of useful tactical options in a flat black oxide finish, stainless steel multitool.
One thing that is special about this – the patented compound leverage design of the pliers let you apply more force – with less effort.
This multitool is 4.6″ when closed and weighs only 9.6 oz.
Let’s see what we’ve got – 18 tools in total:
- 1/4″ Driver
- Blade (Partially Serrated) – 420 Stainless Steel
- Bolt Grip Channel
- Bottle Opener
- Can Opener
- Crimper (Blasting Cap)
- File (3 Sided)
- Flat Screwdriver (Large)
- Flat Screwdriver (Medium)
- Needle nose pliers
- Phillips screwdriver
- Wire Crimper
- Wire Cutter (Hard)
- Wood Saw
The V-Cutter can be used to cut seat belts, paracord, fishing line, electrical cable sheathing, and more.
See it here in action:
Let’s look at more options.
Real Avid .223 Tool
Let’s switch gears and look at AR tools.
What are these?
Multitools that are purpose built for AR rifle field stripping and emergency maintenance.
The Real Avid .223 Tool (Buy on Amazon) is an excellent tool to have in the field for AR rifle maintenance.
With 37 complete tools – it has everything you would need for AR rifle maintenance at home, at the range, or in the field.
- 37 TOOLS FOR COMPLETE MAINTENANCE: combination needle nose pliers, carbide cutter, bolt scraper, 10 function bolt/firing pin/cam pin scraper, bolt override tool, 3.25" 440C stainless steel serrated Tanto knife, tap hammer, and metal file
- DETACHABLE: 3/32" pin punch, detachable hooked pick, 8-32 threaded post and receiver, 3 position locking bit driver, 12 high quality bits
- SCRAPES 12 CRITICAL BOLT SURFACES: the bolt carbon scraper and the 10 function scraper combine to scrape 12 critical bolt surfaces
- A1 & A2 FRONT SIGHT ADJUSTER: the precision machined stainless steel front sight adjuster is coated with a durable black oxide coating and adjusts 4-Pin (A2 Style) and 5-pin (A1 Style) front sights
- DURABLE FOLDING FRAME: the folding X-Frame has G-10 grip plates and folds out to reveal a combination needle-nose pliers and carbide cutter with replaceable blades
Here’s some details:
- Combination Needle-Nose Pliers
- 10 Function Bolt/Firing Pin/Cam Pin Scraper
- Bolt Override Tool
- A1 & A2 Front Sight Adjuster
- Detachable Pin Punch and Hooked Pick
- 8-32 Threaded Post and Receiver
- 3 Position Locking Bit Driver & 12 High Quality Bits
- 440C 3.25 inch Serrated Tanto Knife
Best Tactical Multi-Tools – In Summary
Tactical multi-tools can fill a variety of roles – but having basic firearm tools are the primary feature.
Tactical multi-tools are also available with specialized EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) tools and AR rifle maintenance tools.
Last update on 2019-07-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API