If you’ve got tactical gear with MOLLE, you know it helps make your gear super-customizable and versatile.
How do we connect attachments, pouches, and packs to this MOLLE?
We use MOLLE clips and other connectors, such as carabiners.
There’s many types of options, and we’ll discuss them here.
Whether you want fast connect and disconnect, a robust interlock that won’t fail, or something in between – we’ll present the best MOLLE clips and connectors here.
MOLLE webbing (also called PALS for Pouch Attachment Ladder System) is heavy-duty nylon stitched onto vests, chest rigs, or backpacks (usually in rows) to allow for all kinds of attachments.
The GORUCK GR1 rucksack (in Ranger Green) sports 3 rows of MOLLE webbing on the back and sides.
It’s also got 3 rows of MOLLE in the interior – which is great for organizing your gear.
MOLLE is very popular because it makes your gear customizable and re-configurable for ergonomics or efficiency.
MOLLE is a standard and therefore a lot of manufacturers support it. The 5.11 Tactical Rush24 backpack has a lot of MOLLE.
Rucksacks aren’t the only gear with MOLLE though. Tactical vests, plate carriers, and more also have this feature.
Let’s talk about the best MOLLE clips.
Best MOLLE Clips and Connectors – For Ease Of Connect or Quick Attach
What sort of MOLLE clips do you need?
It depends mostly on how quickly (and easily) you want to be able to connect and disconnect pouches and other gear.
Let’s look at fast (quick attach) but secure options first.
- Quickly attach or disconnect pouches and other gear quickly and efficiently – no more tedious weaving of bulky straps
- Reliable and secure mounting
- Speed Clips are made from a carbon-fiber polymer material that is strong, flexible and durable. These will not rust
- Contains an accessory lanyard hole (near the top edge)
- Sold in a six pack
- Available in 3″, 5″, 7″ and 9″ lengths to securely connect any item
- Color match to your gear – Black, Olive Drab, or Coyote Tan.
Our first choice when you want to be able to mount or dismount gear quickly is the Speed Clips by BLACKHAWK! (Buy on Amazon)
These provide a secure, robust connection and are good for heavy items such as ammo pouches or trauma kits. But, at the same time they are easy to connect or disconnect.
Compatible with MOLLE and MOLLE 2 systems, these clips are available in multiple lengths – 3″, 5″, 7″ and 9″. Which do you need? How much MOLLE is on your gear? Time to get out the ruler.
Make sure you order the right size.
The nomenclature for the product is that the #3 is the 3 inch (goes between two straps), #5 is the 5 inch (goes between 3 straps), etc. Here’s what the #5 looks like when it’s threaded through some PALS webbing:
By the way, the standard for the PALS webbing grid is horizontal rows of 1 in (2.5 cm) webbing, spaced 1 in apart, and attached to the backing at 1.5 in (3.8 cm) intervals.
Made from high-tech polymer (aka plastic) these speed clips are solid but slightly flexible. They can bend slightly in the middle and at the ends as you manipulate them into the harness or bag. This is what makes them so easy to use.
Shown here are the colors black, coyote tan, and olive drab (twice). These are the #3 (3″) size.
Best MOLLE Clips and Connectors – Quick Release MOLLE Clips
- Best quick release MOLLE clip
- Easy to connect, easy to disconnect
- Sold in packs of 4
- Size: 1” wide x 5.75” long
- Available in Wolf Gray or Coyote Tan.
- Made in the USA of super durable polymer.
Need a quick release option for your MOLLE gear?
How do these work?
Here’s a picture.
To release: A firm pull-forward on the cord unlocks the top latch, followed by an upward pull removing the MOLLE Stick from the webbing.
When seconds count, this is the MOLLE clip you want.
These work great for attaching FAK (First Aid Kit) pouches, Trauma Kits, EDC (Every Day Carry) items, and other such things.
These are the best quick release MOLLE clips.
Best MOLLE Clips and Connectors – For a Robust Connection
- Injection molded, heavy duty, reusable connecting clips
- Once properly closed, the clip will not open until it is disengaged by the user using a flat tipped object such as a knife or screwdriver
- Colors: Black or Coyote Brown
- Sizes: Short (3″ when closed) or Long (5″ when closed)
- Sold in packs of 4 (Short) or 3 (Long)
Got gear that needs a really robust MOLLE connection?
If connection failure is not an option, you want the Tactical Tailor Malice Clips (Buy on Amazon).
Use these when you really don’t want your MOLLE clips coming undone.
How do these work?
You weave them through the MOLLE webbing, fold in half, and then connect securely.
You’ll need a screwdriver, knife point, or other flat object to disconnect them.
These won’t rust and are not affected by extreme temperatures. They’ve got a subdued finish.
User reviews indicate that there is no chance these will come undone inadvertantly. These are the “best of the best” and superior to competitor products.
Make sure you order the right size. The “Short” version is 3″ when closed, “Long” is 5″ when closed.
MOLLE – Carabiners
- Versatile and easy to use carabiner
- MOLLE compatible
- Made from polymer – silent, corrosion resistant, and lightweight
- Sold in a nine pack
- Not for weight bearing purposes – this isn’t for rock climbing!
Sometimes what you really need is a carabiner.
The Grimloc Super Strong Molded Polymer Clip Carabiner (Buy on Amazon) from Ten Point Gear is MOLLE compatible.
They have spring loaded gate closures and a textured grip for use with wet hands or gloves.
Recommended for mounting light gear to your pack – these are definitely not a weight bearing carabiner.
The Swiss Army Knife of Carabiners
- TOUGH & MULTI-FUNCTIONAL USE: Designed to help you hang your gear no matter what the conditions. Heroclip was invented for the outdoor adventurer. Hang your gear, water bottle, ropes, cords & hose on any surface with our multi-functional rotating clip. Great for RV or Boat use too.
- BUILT TO LAST: This tactical tool is Precision-cut from solid aircraft grade aluminum, set with black rubber tip and Holds up to 50 lbs of gear. Not for rock climbing, our non-locking hooks Hang everywhere- from a tree branch, door, luggage handle, table, fence, baby stroller, shopping cart, large & small garage shelves Heroclip has you covered. "Superhero gadget" - (Outdoors NW)
- SUPER HANDY: Ever find yourself in a position where you need an extra hand. Take a load off with this gadget. Perfect for campers, hiking, outdoor traveling, parents, students. Heroclip Clips to your backpack, duffel bags, suitcases, sports bags & Strollers and gives you the freedom of your hands back. Invented in Pacific Northwest.
- VERSATILE: Your Carabiner clip comes in multiple color options to suit your needs. Travel in style and select the colors of your choice. Photographers and adventurers love this tool so you can capture great shots or climb to new areas without leaving the camera bag or other gear on the ground. With the rotating folding hook you can hang and hold just about anywhere. Camping gadgets for holding sporting goods, equipment, bicycles, travel gear. "MacGyver of carabiners" (Babyology)
- THE PERFECT GIFT: Looking for that perfect gift idea for your travel adventure friend? Get them the tool they will use over and over. These clips have so many functions you will be the hero for the holiday. Heroclip offers 100% SATISFACTION on all purchases.
This isn’t a MOLLE clip, nor a plain carabiner, it’s a super carabiner.
The HeroClip (Buy on Amazon) is a hybrid gear clip with a built-in hook that rotates 360° in either direction.
It folds at two joints for maximum versatility and features a rubber tip on the end so your gear will stay put wherever you hang it. This rubber “beak” means it’s got lots of grip.
The HeroClip has a 60 lb weight capacity as well.
MOLLE Clips – Hydration Tube Routing
- Use MOLLE webbing to route your hydration tube right where you need it
- The clip rotates 360 degrees for perfect placement every time
- Colors: Black, Coyote Brown, OD Green
- Sold in a 10 pack
Here’s another popular need on the mission or the ruck march.
The Tactical Military Hydration Tube Clips (Buy on Amazon) from BOOSTSTEADY let you route the hydration tube from your rucksack.
How to put MOLLE where there is no MOLLE
Once you get bitten by the MOLLE bug, it’s hard to stop.
Having neat, strong organization of life-saving and critical gear can take place elsewhere beside backpacks, rucksacks, and vests.
- Rigid High Density Polymer MOLLE / PALS compatible Panel
- 12.25in wide x 17in tall x 3/16in (0.188in) thick. 16 ounces.
- Mount items to panel with screws, bolts, glue, straps, velcro etc..
- Has enough rigidity to stand up in bag even when loaded with gear
- Currently used by US Military, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders, and Prepared Citizens
How can you put MOLLE where there is no MOLLE?
Grey Man Tactical’s RIP-M Rigid Molle Panels are just what you need.
This item is a strong, rigid panel with cutouts according to MOLLE PALS webbing specifications.
You can use it to organize gear in your backpack, rucksack, pelican case, gun safe, inside a vehicle – and just about anywhere else you desire to have MOLLE.
There are several different sizes available, so be sure to check out all the options.
MOLLE and PALS webbing make your tactical and outdoor gear super configurable.
This means efficiency and customization.
Whether you use speed clips, sticks, carabiners, or other special MOLLE connectors, these options should handle just about any need you have.
Last update on 2018-11-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API