If you are participating in a ruck march training or event (like a GORUCK event) you probably don’t need to pack an IFAK or trauma kit.
Why not? Because you are already going to have to pack the minimum required weight – so why add more to that?
Here’s the items we recommend you have in your GORUCK first aid kit – throw this in your rucksack before you go.
Waterproof storage – aLOKSAK
First of all – you need something to keep the first aid kit together.
A ziplock bag isn’t a terrible option – but it’s not industrial strength.
The aLOKSAK bag (Buy on Amazon) is a re-sealable, flexible storage bag.
It is super-tough and guaranteed air tight.
It will keep our sand, water, humidity and anything else.
If you are at a ruck event, total water immersion is a very real possibility. I wouldn’t chance it with a ziplock bag.
- MULTIPURPOSE PROTECTION - This leak proof, airtight seal can protect medical supplies, store precious metals, tools, liquids, documents, and more.
- LIFE PROOF SEAL - Electronics, personal items and firearms are damaged from exposure to the environment. aLOKSAK is the only resealable, flexible storage bag offering protection from the elements.
- PROTECT TECH FROM THE ELEMENTS - Seal out water, sand, humidity, and snow. We offer an array of sizes to protect your passport, cash, phone, documents, maps, and more. The SPLASHSAK is the ideal accessory for your everyday life.
- MILITARY-GRADE PROTECTION - Used by domestic and foreign forces, the LOKSAK is bio-hazard approved, and certified waterproof by SCUBA Schools International up to 60 meters/200 feet for periods of over 2 weeks.
- ADVENTURE PROOF - Essential travel accessory: for hikes, camping, boating, kayaking, scuba diving, traveling, theme parks, the pool or beach, canoeing, fishing, or even in the shower!
By the way, you can also use these to keep water and moisture in – for example your mouthwash bottles when you travel – isn’t it fun when those leak all over your luggage?
These are also great for keeping electronics safe and dry.
These are also available in aLOKSAK 6 – which is great or phones and other small electronics.
Keeping your phone stored away securely is a must for most GORUCK events -the cadre often doesn’t allow any device usage.
First Aid 101 says we need alcohol swabs. These are great for drying or disinfection.
These 70% isopropyl alcohol swabs are also great for easy clean-up.
- Cuard Alcohol Prep Pads are thick to provide excellent cleansing action
- Each alcohol swab is individually sealed for convenience and safety
- Alcohol prep pads are made with 70% isopropyl alcohol
- Alcohol pads can be used for removal of oils and residue from skin
- Packaged as four 100 count boxes for a total of 400 prep pads
This 400 pack is probably a life-time supply…
You probably know already if you will need these… but they can be used for other purposes too.
The main ingredient in these is witch hazel, which is an herbal astringent.
It’s cooling and anti-inflammatory properties help with a variety of skin conditions including acne, eczema or psoriasis.
So, think of these as a general purpose first aid item in a convenient package.
- Includes 4 packs of 48 count Preparation H Medicated Hemorrhoidal Wipes for everyday cleansing and effective hemorrhoid symptom relief
- Gentle, everyday cleansing that also reduces hemorrhoid irritation
- Relieves burning and itching associated with hemorrhoid flare ups
- Made with witch hazel to cool and soothe as you wipe
- Convenient wipes are flushable and septic safe
What first aid emergency are you likely to encounter on a ruck march?
So pack a blister kit.
These are the essential items:
- 18g x 1.5″ Needle (or a safety pin)- for popping the blister – in case that isn’t clear.
- 6″ Rock Tape
- Alcohol Wipes
- Antibiotic Ointment
This product from Amazon has pretty much everything you need.
- 2 oval pad, 2" x 4"
- 2 2Nd skin, 1.5" x 2"
- 3 moleskin, 2" x 3"
- 2 safety pins
- 6 alcohol prep pads and 6 BZK antiseptic towelettes
The proper way to use this is as follows:
- Clean blister area with alcohol
- Pop the blister (using the needle)
- Clean the area with alcohol again
- Apply antibiotic ointment
- Cover with tape
Non Stick Gauze Pads
Gauze pads are a must have.
Non-stick – so they do notstick to the wound and they are easy to remove or reapply as needed.
- NON-STICK WOUND DRESSING PADS: The Medpride sterile cotton pads make for a comfortable and painless removal and switching. Use in combination with gauze if necessary, for enhanced wound dressing results.
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED: Our 100-pack sterile pads come individually wrapped to ensure and protect their sterilization for as long as possible. The protective envelope can be easily opened by peeling from the designated spot, for greater ease of use.
- HIGHLY VERSATILE & ABSORBENT: Absorbency for mildly exuding wounds-stage II, and III. Size is 2” x 3” and in each pack you get 100 dressing pads. Perfect for cystic acne, blemishes, burns, ulcers with mild-exudate, smaller post-op wounds, blisters, cuts, dermatitis, cracked skin & more.
- DIFFERENT SIZES FOR YOUR NEEDS: The Medpride ouch-less medical dressing pads come in sizes: 2'' x 3'', 3'' x 4'' and 3'' x 8'' so that you find exactly what you need for your type of wound/ exudate.
- BEST VALUE PACK: Each box carries 100 cotton, sterile wound dressing pads making it one of the best deals on Amazon. Grab your pack today, store it in your First-Aid box and enjoy peace of mind as you are always prepared.
For larger scale disinfecting these 5″ x 7″ antiseptic wipes will come in handier than the alcohol prep pads.
- The Dynarex BZK Antiseptic Towelette are sting free for sensitive skin areas
- Ideal for perineal and maternity care
- Alcohol free
- Alcohol free; sting free
You need something that will stay stuck during the duration of the event.
Good old duct tape will do the trick.
We don’t recommend Gorilla Tape – because that is not easy to un-do – it can damage whatever articles you’ve applied it to.
You don’t need a huge roll of duct tape either, so something like these mini-rolls is preferred.
- Made with heavy-duty, reinforced cotton mesh to provide high performance, strength and adhesion
- Excellent for crafting, fun and imaginative projects
- Works on a variety of surfaces, including wood, vinyl, plastic, leather, metal and laminate
- Tears easily by hand without curling and conforms to uneven surfaces
- Each roll is .75 inches x 180 inches; for a total of 1,080 inches per 6 pack
Nitrile gloves are preferred over latex – since some people have allergies to that.
These are black, so they look cool.
- PROTECTIVE BARRIER: Designed to protect your hands from blood, chemicals, infectious materials, and other harmful things, these gloves are made from heavy-duty nitrile.
- LATEX- & POWDER-FREE: To accommodate everyone in your shop, we made this glove without latex or powder. People with sensitive skin or a latex allergy can get the protection they need and deserve!
- FLEXIBLE FIT: Made from an extra-strong, synthetic rubber, these gloves provide flexibility, elasticity, and comfort, making them a perfect addition to cleaning, cooking, or mechanic supplies.
- TEXTURED TIP: With textured fingertips and puncture-resistant construction, these disposable gloves are perfect for use in medical clinics, tattoo parlors, service kitchens, and more.
- BULK BOX: With our many options for bulk orders, you can choose from a box of 100 or 1,000 gloves. We offer many size options, including x-small, medium, large, and x-large.
- 1 Roll of Leukotape P individually boxed.
- Rigid Strapping Tape : 1 1/2" x 15 Yards (3.8cm x 13.7m)
- This product contains natural rubber latex
- Medical braces, supports and certain other health care/rehabilitation items are not returnable once removed from sealed packaging. This includes the product in this listing. May ship in clinical non-retail packaging
- : Consult with your medical professional, before purchase, if you have questions if this item is appropriate for your condition. Please be very aware that the information we provide about the products we sell is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider/therapist before starting any new treatment or regimen with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Band-aids – for obvious reasons.
Choose a random assortment so you have all your bases covered.
Did you know Super Glue was originally invented as a stitch free way to close wounds?
Yep – and it still works that way when you need it.
But, there are medical grade super glues and those that are not.
I’m not going to recommend you use krazy glue on your wounds – just use a band-aid or gauze and tape.
An assortment of the meds you normally might need out in the field , such as: Motrin, Naproxen, Tylenol, Zyrtec, etc.
The only non-standard addition – pack some electrolytes – those can come in handy in a high temperature ruck march.
When you’ve been sweating intensely simply hydrating with water isn’t enough.
You need to replace electrolytes too – and these tablets can be added to any drinking water you have.
- RECOVER FAST | ACHIEVE ELECTROLYTE BALANCE - Your body needs electrolytes for muscle function and energy. During exercise, your body eliminates electrolytes through sweat resulting in muscle cramps and fatigue. Our electrolyte salt pills help replenish and replace lost electrolytes with salt minerals to help your recover quickly and keep your body running at its peak performance level.
- INCREASE ENDURANCE | STAY HYDRATED DURING EXERCISE - Runners and athletes must stay properly hydrated to perform at their best. Our electrolyte salts formula has the essential minerals you need for rapid rehydration to maintain stamina and endurance during prolonged exercise.
- REDUCE LEG CRAMPS | FASTER MUSCLE RECOVERY - Take 1 electrolyte pill with water either before or during every 30-60 minutes of exercise. Taking electrolyte tablets prior to physical activity provides your body with electrolyte salt minerals (Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, Pink Himalayan Salt) to promote fluid and electrolyte balance. Taking the salt tablets after exercise keep your body hydrated and reduces post-workout soreness and leg cramps. Recommended as an electrolyte salt recovery aid.
- 100% NATURAL, SUGAR-FREE, ELECTROLYTE SUPPLEMENT - Unlike artificially flavored sport drinks, our electrolyte pills are sugar-free and have no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners. Not just for athletes, our salt capsules can also be used as a keto electrolyte supplement as part of ketogenic diet to maintain proper electrolyte balance during ketosis and to avoid the keto flu.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - No risk to you. Our electrolyte salts are backed by our 100% satisfaction 60-day money back guarantee. We know you will love our custom USA made formula as much as we do!
First Aid Kit Storage
There are a variety of MOLLE compatible first aid pouches you can use to store these items.
GORUCK first aid kit – In Summary
For a ruck training event you probably don’t need a full trauma kit – you are much more likely to encounter blisters and minor aches and pains.
We hope this article has provided useful info for your first ruck adventure.
Last update on 2020-04-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API